Thursday, November 10, 2011

Well It's Thursday ...sigh

You ever notice when you are NOT having fun, time flies by? Yeah I know, it's usually the other way around. There have been so many details going on around my house that before I know it...it's one o'clock in the morning. The work doesn't stop on my house. Once the contractors are gone there is the pick up, the priming, and the color choices to make. Yes, I could let them all do the work, but then it wouldn't be my house.

I did a paint technique in my old office which from about mid line down looks like blue jeans. I put a border of old world maps above that and then placed burgundy screen molding to encase it. The upper wall is a cream color. It looks marvelous if I do say so myself. I sewed some navy blue curtains made of recycled blue jeans, so I think I'm set now. If the cable guy, no not Jim Carey, would come in and run the internet line to my new office I'll be finished and able to move in. It will sure beat sitting on the couch with my laptop trying to write.

What spurred all this renovation to my home? Well a tree bough fell on it...not one of those tiny ones either. I've been putting off things for years being busy with life, work and writing. Injuries, family illnesses, and surgeries also didn't help. I had no choice but put everything aside and focus on the house. I knew it would have to be done someday. I guess if the bough hadn't broken...it would still be a someday item so it's not entirely bad.

Now if I can just get all my son in laws together over here to help move the pool table into my old 15x20 office. Oh yeah, I forgot. The part that the bough fell on...was my office. It took out a wall and a good section of the roof. Ya gotta love old southern live oak trees. This one is probably 60 years old. A beautiful towering creature who has lived here longer than my home. Great shade in the summer. Great leaves in the fall for the garden.  Well the limb will make good fire wood next year.

So the hammering, sawing and other construction work continues. Along with it a total creativity drain. Although if you look at the meter to the right you will see progress, it feels like I'm at a standstill. These manuscripts should be through the first draft part of writing. Maybe I'm just being too hard on myself. It's just life getting in the way.

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Eep, sorry about the tree but how exciting to get a new office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, too hard by half! Your study sounds wonderful!

    We're just painting the trim and putting up new wood blinds and I'm flumoxed. That's not all that's on the agenda though. It's time for a whole-house redo since it's been 30 years since most of it was done last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's has been almost ten years since our fire and I thought that was hard. My new office is an old bedroom since we are officially empty-nesters now. It is actually smaller than my old office, but then I'm not running an international consulting firm out of it anymore either.

    This past year has been focusing on down-sizing my home, consolidating what is here, replacing what needed replacing, and getting rid of everyone else's junk. It will continue on to next year with the addition of my father-in-law's stuff.

    Once done it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.